Car simulators, of course, are not as popular as, for example, shooters, but nevertheless they have enough fans. Of course, you can't do without a steering wheel with pedals. The simplest game pad is very inexpensive: for example, this Defender is offered for only 2400 rubles.
It remains only to understand how to properly connect the steering wheel with pedals to the computer. But before you start connecting, you need to understand: does your simulator support such devices. In principle, most simulators (including not new ones, such as Colin M'cray Rally) work with them successfully. If so, let's get down to business.
How to connect a steering wheel to a computer?
The steering wheel has two actuators: the steering wheel itself and a block with pedals. The pedals are usually connected to the tabletop unit, and already it is connected to the USB port of the computer. Putting together this simple scheme, and do not forget that the steering wheel must be securely fixed on the surface. Then you have two ways:
- adjust the steering wheel using drivers from the manufacturer,
- do the same using the operating system.
Of course, the first option is much more reliable. The more buttons and levers you have, the less likely it is that it will all work right away and without drivers. CD-disks are no longer put into packaging, so you will have to go to the manufacturer's website to get some “firewood”. Find your model there, select the Windows version and download the software. After installing it, as a rule, there are no problems: a utility is installed on your computer, in which everything can be connected and configured easily.
You will have to tinker a little if you still haven't found the driver you need from the manufacturer. This happens, for example, with discontinued devices. It's okay: Windows itself can find the software it needs. To do this, we do the following operations:
- We go to the "Control Panel", open Control Panel \ Hardware and Sound \ Devices and Printers .
- If you see your steering wheel there, that's good. If not, add it manually.
- Click on the "Add Device" button.
- Wait for the computer to detect the steering wheel.
- Click "Next" and wait for the system to select the appropriate driver.
- If the steering wheel is still in the list of devices initially, right-click on it and enter "Properties". By clicking on the "Driver" tab, you can see a list of drivers that the system has already installed. If the "Update" button is active, press it, it won't get any worse.
This will most likely end the connection. But it is not yet a fact that everything will work perfectly for you. If you notice that some buttons or the steering wheel itself with pedals do not respond correctly to your actions (or do not respond at all), you need to calibrate.
How to set up a steering wheel on a computer?
To do this, you need to run the applet from the Windows arsenal. It's simple: open the command line ("Run") and type joy.cpl ... Then we see our device and get the opportunity to check its operation. We click "Properties" and we see two tabs.
Check - here you can check the steering wheel and pedals on the computer, that is, see their reaction on the screen. Press the pedals and buttons, turn the steering wheel - your actions should be displayed. If everything works here, but not in the game, you may have incorrectly set the settings in the simulator itself.
Parameters are just in case something is wrong. For example, you turned the steering wheel all the way, and the cross in the corresponding field stopped halfway. You need to do the calibration, which is also easy. We go to the "Parameters" tab, run the "Calibration Wizard" and then just follow the steps.
What if the steering wheel doesn't work?
This also happens: either it does not work at all, or only certain functions. There are some tips (some of which are banal, but they work!).
Check the USB port ... Most often, the steering wheel is connected to the front panel, and the USB jacks are not always connected there. The easiest way to check is to insert a USB flash drive. If the computer finds it, then everything is fine. If not, try turning the steering wheel to a different port.
Check if you downloaded the correct driver? For example, they may differ depending on the specific version of Windows. Or you downloaded "firewood" for a 32-bit system, and you have a 64-bit one.
Try uninstalling and then reinstalling the driver. Sometimes Windows installs drivers from its library, but not the most recent. Or you installed the software from the included disk, and this is no longer the current version. Try to remove the driver, and then install a new one (we described how to do this at the very beginning of the article).
Take a look at the auto simulator settings. Usually, the steering wheel is detected automatically, but purely in theory, the use of the keyboard can be set by default. Just swap your device for a steering wheel.
More tips for proper connection:
Converting your own keyboard into a racing car cockpit is now easy - just purchase a steering wheel and pedals. They are equipped with standard USB cables that can be connected to all connectors. However, this often does not happen and the PC “does not see” the game setup.
How to connect a steering wheel to a computer
How to connect steering wheel and pedals to Windows 7 computer
Everything is simple here, because the joystick, steering wheel, pedals are connected to the computer according to the same principle as office equipment - first they are connected via a port, then the system begins to recognize them. It takes up to a minute. After that, you can start the game and arrange races, reconfiguring some functions for your convenience.
We connect a wire with a USB connector to an available USB port on a laptop or computer
This rule applies to all variations of Windows.
Any device that is about to come into contact with a computer has the appropriate software or drivers. Rather, those are present on the computer. Only thanks to them the machine recognizes what is connected to it. If they are not there, the user will have to take care of this problem himself.
Thus, if the user connected the steering wheel or joystick and was going to "ride", but the PC did not accept the connected equipment, this often means that there is no corresponding software on the computer.
The system makes it clear with an error message or the phrase "The device is not recognized."
If the system does not see the connected device, it issues an appropriate message with recommendations
You can cope with a nuisance manually, even without much experience. Drivers are always included in the kit on a disc that comes with the game device.
Driver discs that come with your gaming device
In any case, reputable manufacturers who care about their reputation and are responsible for quality do just that. Game Drivers or the program is downloaded from the official portal of the company that released the game, or from another reliable source.
Setting up the controller or steering wheel manually
Even the installation does not always solve the problem: the system, as it did not see the gamepad, does not see it. Here the user is invited to perform a number of simple operations:
- Press the button with the Windows logo at the bottom left to open the Start menu.
Press the bottom left button with the Windows logo
- Open "Control Panel".
Open the "Control Panel"
- Find and open the "Hardware and Sound" section in the heading.
In the "View" mode should be "Category", find and open the section "Hardware and Sound"
- Click on the "Devices and Printers" subsection.
Click on the subsection "Devices and Printers"
- A window titled "Devices and Printers" will appear. The gamepad will be displayed in it. If this does not happen, the required device is added manually. At the top left, you can see the "Add device" button. Click it.
We are looking for a steering wheel in devices, if it is not there, click "Add device"
- The system will start searching and recognizing what is connected to it. It takes up to several minutes. Now she should see the device offered to her. When the steering wheel or gamepad is displayed, checking them, press the button to go to the next stage - "Next".
System search for connected devices
It remains to calibrate and configure the controller, after which it will be possible to launch the simulator and play.
There are two simple ways to calibrate a connected device.
Method number 1
- Click the "Start" button in the lower left corner, which is usually used at shutdown or reboot.
Press the bottom left button with the Windows logo
- Expand the "All programs" section.
Expand the "All Programs" option
- Go to the "Standard" section, the "Run" subsection.
Go to the section "Standard", subsection "Run"
- Enter the command "joy.cpl" in the field that opens, press "Enter".
Enter the command "joy.cpl", press "Enter"
- A window will open with all the identified game devices. Select the one you need, click on it with the left button of the manipulator, then open the "Properties" section.
Left-click on the device, click the "Properties" option
- In the "Parameters" tab, click on the "Calibrate" option.
In the "Parameters" tab, click on the "Calibrate" option
- You can start setting up by reading the instructions of the "Device Calibration Wizard" and performing the indicated actions.
We read the information, follow the instructions of the "Device Calibration Wizard"
Method number 2
The second method allows you to do without commands that are incomprehensible to an inexperienced user, it is enough:
- After pressing the start button, go to the "Control Panel" section.
Open the "Control Panel"
- From there - to the "Hardware and Sound" section.
In the "View" mode should be "Category", find and open the section "Hardware and Sound"
- Then in the subsection "Devices and Printers".
Click on the subsection "Devices and Printers"
- Next, the section for gaming devices will open, right-click on the name of the device, then on the option "Settings for gaming devices ...".
Right-click on the name of the device, then left-click on the line "Parameters of gaming devices ..."
- Click on the "Properties" option.
Left-click on the device, click the "Properties" option
- A setup window with a calibration button will pop up. It also needs to be pressed.
In the "Parameters" tab, click on the "Calibrate" option
A map of settings of buttons and other devices on the joystick or steering wheel appears in front of the user, it is written what it reacts to which command and how much the steering wheel can deviate along the axis.
Having tweaked these options to suit your preferences, the steering wheel is tested again. If the user is satisfied with what he sees, you can go to the game.
Video - How to calibrate the steering wheel
Features for the game GTA
The game station for GTA is connected in the way described for Windows 7 - that is, you need to connect the steering wheel and pedals to each other, then connect to the computer, and after installing the drivers and calibration, you can play.
More often than not, everything is simpler - the computer immediately recognizes the device, giving the player the opportunity to immediately join the game.
Features when setting up the CREW simulator
In the CREW simulator, in order to fully use it, you need to go through two stages:
- Installing the driver from the disk (load the media, start the program and then follow the instructions on the display).
- Device connection.
Driver installation process:
- In "Start" open "Control Panel".
Open the "Control Panel"
- There is a subsection "Adding a device" in it.
In the "View" mode, set the "Category", open the subsection "Add a device"
- Find the steering wheel, then - "Next".
- After that, they indicate the path to the file for installation - the system will do it itself, it will remain to confirm with the consent button. The rest of the computer will complete automatically.
Select the driver from the list with the mouse or click on the "Install from disk" button, click "Next"
After installing the drivers, connect the gaming equipment via standard USB cables.
Simulator parameters, their adjustment
You can play right away - with the factory settings set. Usually, players act differently: they start a racing simulator, in the settings they set the desired device - for example, a steering wheel - as the main control element. Here the following parameters are "tweaked":
- steering response;
- degree of turns;
It is impossible to say for sure what the best option is - it is determined by each player independently in the course of the game, checking with his own feelings.
You can also use utilities to facilitate this task. For example, Logitech Profiler - you just need to set up your own profile in it and it will fit any user's game to the specified parameters.
Create a profile in Logitech Profiler
To create a new profile you need:
- Go to the official website https://support.logitech.com/ru_ru/downloads, click on the "Downloads" tab.
On the official Logitech website, click on the "Downloads" tab
- From the list, select "Logitech Gaming Software", the corresponding bit system, click "Download".
From the list, select "Logitech Gaming Software", the corresponding bit depth, click "Download"
- Left-click on the downloaded file.
Left-click on the downloaded file
- In the welcome window of the installation program, click Next.
- Click Next again.
Click "Next" again
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- Check the appropriate box to restart your computer, click "Finish".
Click "Finish", marking the appropriate item for reboot
- Click on the "Profile" tab.
Click on the "Profile" tab
- Select "New".
Click on the line "New"
- Enter a name for the profile.
Enter the name of the profile
- Click on the "Browse" button and open the path to the .exe file of the game.
Click on the "Browse" button, open the path to the executable file of the game
- Select an icon, click "OK".
Select the icon, click "OK"
What problems can arise in Crew
The Logitech Profiler app also addresses a number of issues that have led many users to become frustrated with the Crew Simulator, including:
- too sensitive steering wheel - more precisely, an impromptu car jerks from one touch to the steering wheel;
- it is possible to turn only by unscrewing the steering wheel to the maximum;
- the configured Logitech Profiler settings do not launch.
This happens due to a conflict between user settings and those set by the manufacturer.
These difficulties can be dealt with.
- The utility creates a profile for the Crew simulator (instructions for creating a profile are discussed a little higher).
Click on the line "New"
- Activate the profile by going to the "Profile" tab, then "Select Profile". Click on the name of the required profile.
Go to the "Profile" tab, then "Select Profile"
- Go to the "Edit" tab.
Go to the "Edit" tab
- Click on the line "Specific Game Settings".
Click on the line "Specific Game Settings"
- Uncheck the "Allow game to .." line.
Uncheck the box "Allow game to adjust settings"
The previous settings have been removed.
Thus, connecting the steering wheel and pedals is very simple - even children can cope with it. It is enough to first read the instructions for the device and use only trustworthy portals to download programs.
Video - How to connect the steering wheel
Computer games take us into their virtual world so much that it merges with the real one. But sometimes this is not enough. Special devices are required, which should completely immerse the gamer in the gaming reality. If you love virtual racing, it's hard to do without a game wheel and pedals. And now the devices are purchased. Here the gamer has the following task: how to connect the steering wheel and pedals to the computer, how to set them up? In answer to the question, we will give some actionable instructions from experienced gamers. After such recommendations, the process will seem easy and quick to you.
Selecting the required devices
Transforming a modern PC into a gaming center today is easy. But how do you connect your steering wheel and pedals to your computer? Let's start to analyze the procedure from the very start. Namely, with the purchase of the necessary equipment.
- In order not to rack your brains over connecting a too "abstruse" device, before choosing a specific model, be sure to read independent opinions about it on the forums. If a large number of users note that they have had problems connecting the device, then this is enough to change their choice to a similar one in terms of characteristics.
- How do I connect the steering wheel and pedals to my computer? Your PC must have ports to which it is possible to connect the purchase. The most commonly used universal USB. If the type of port is different, then it is worth purchasing a suitable adapter along with the gaming equipment. If a webcam, mouse, printer and other devices are connected to the computer via USB, then you need to purchase a USB hub (in other words, a splitter). This will increase the number of free ports so that you can play comfortably.
- And one more important condition - the operating system, the characteristics of your computer must support the acquired gaming attributes.
Self-made steering wheel
So, we make the steering wheel and pedals to the computer. The diagram and description will be presented below. Let's walk through the algorithm step by step:
- The steering wheel can be cut out of wood, glued from several sheets of plywood. The first step is to use a ruler and a compass to execute its detailed drawing on paper.
- Next, a hub is made from hardwood, which is attached to the rear of the steering wheel with screws or furniture glue.
- A hole is cut through the steering shaft. A bolt with a cut off head is inserted there. Its ends are grinded with a file. Holes are drilled in the resulting sites. Springs are installed in these places.
- To fix the nuts, the steering shaft is also grinded on both sides.
- The bolt is screwed into the drilled hole on the axle. On both sides it is tightened with nuts. The second side of the spring attaches to the L-bracket.
- Another important step is to complete the table attachment system. Bend the U-shaped bracket out of the metal plate. 4 holes are made in it for self-tapping screws.
- The next step is to make the presser foot. A hole is drilled in the middle for a 5 mm bolt.
- The foot is connected to the bracket with self-tapping screws so that it can move freely.
- There should be a distance from the base of the module to the foot equal to the thickness of the table.
- The technician then drills a hole through the base of the steering module. The threaded T-bush is inserted here.
- The U-bracket is screwed to the wooden base of the module with self-tapping screws.
- A bolt with a swivel handle is passed into the hole in the foot, after which it is screwed into the T-sleeve.
Then you need to take care of the electronic "stuffing".
This is approximately how we do the pedals and steering wheel to the computer. Another homemade option in the video below.
The gamer himself can build a steering wheel and pedals with his own hands. These attributes will help you immerse yourself in sports and transport simulators, virtual races. The devices fully represent the atmosphere of the race track. They, of course, can be purchased at many electronics stores. But with certain knowledge in the field of mechanics and electronics, it is possible to design a steering wheel and pedals for a computer with your own hands.
Let's present the instruction:
- How to make a working module with pedals? The first step is to take care of the base casing. To do this, take a piece of plywood 12 mm thick. Trace, saw out, and assemble a comfortable footrest.
- Take a close look at the transverse strip of such a casing - it is installed from the inside, closer to the sharp front edge of the bevel. They are made of hard wood, as the element must hold the tension of the return spring.
- The pedal is mounted using a steel tube (average wall thickness 12 mm). The pedal is bolted to the tube.
- A rod with a diameter of about 5 mm is installed in the lower part of the tube. He must hold the pedal in the brackets. The latter are made from strong metal corners. Then the brackets are screwed to the casing.
- And again, let's go back to the cross bar. When making it, measure and cut out the element so that it matches the width of the pedal module casing as closely as possible. And another important point. The strip must be firmly glued (or screwed, if you wish) to the base and sides of the casing.
- Let's go further. A hole is drilled in the cross member. Insert, screw into it a screw with a metal "eyelet". Secure the element from the back with a nut.
- The return spring is attached to the screw eye at one end. The other end of the spring leads to a metal tube (the one to which the pedal is attached).
- The next step is to install the pedal potentiometer in the rear half of the case. Best of all on an L-shaped bracket, attaching it on bushings to the pedal actuator in such a way that the potentiometer rotates at a right angle to both sides.
- And now the electronics - the technical part is complete. It remains to install and connect the gearbox, and then connect the entire structure to the computer.
Connecting the steering wheel and pedals: instruction number 1
We now turn directly to the process. Let's present instructions on how to set up a game wheel. The connection is made according to the following scheme:
- Unpack the game wheel package. There should be a USB cable coming from the device. Plug it into a convenient USB port on your computer.
- If pedals are included, then connect these attributes to the steering wheel.
- Plug the power supply of your game device into a power outlet. So we figured out how to connect the steering wheel to a computer. How to setup?
- Log into any PC game that supports steering wheel control. Navigate to the settings menu.
- It is necessary to stop at the section "Control Settings" (or a similar name).
- Perhaps the mouse and keyboard settings will be listed. We don't need them. You go to the section with the name "Alternative control" (or with a similar name).
- Here you can set the necessary parameters for each of the steering wheel buttons: stay on the standard version or set your own, convenient for you values.
- In conclusion, it remains only to save the settings made, to check the performance of the connected attributes already in the process.
You now know how to connect the steering wheel to any game. However, sometimes the PC does not "see" the connected device. What's the matter? There are two common reasons:
- The computer did not detect the device.
- In order for the steering wheel to work, you need to install the driver that comes with it.
You can find the last problem already when making control settings: when you try to change the purpose of the keys, the attribute buttons do not respond, are inactive. The driver is usually supplied on a disk included with the device. Install it, then enter the game and repeat all actions, starting from the 4th paragraph of the instructions, again.
The second option for connecting the steering wheel and pedals: instructions
And we are analyzing the second instruction on how to connect the gaming wheel and pedals to the computer. By the way, using a similar algorithm, you can connect a steering wheel for "sea" games. The problem in both cases most often arises the same: the lack of software in the PC operating system that is responsible for the performance of game attributes.
How to connect your gaming wheel with pedals:
- The most important thing is to follow the precise step-by-step connection. This path is usually guided by the instructions that you will find in the kit with the game wheel and pedals. It connects game devices, and then installs the drivers for the attributes from the disk.
- If there is no driver included with the purchase, then you can turn to a special utility that Windows OS contains.
- Go to Start, then Control Panel. You need the "Gaming Devices" section.
- When you open this window, you will see a complete list of gaming equipment connected to the PC.
- If the components are being installed for the first time, then click on "Add".
- The corresponding "Add a new game device" window will open. Here you need to select the correct type of equipment to install. For all types of steering wheel with pedals for a computer, put a tick on the corresponding values - "Steering wheel", "Pedals".
- If the connected game device is different, then you need to go to the "Other" tab. There you will find a joystick, control stick, steering wheel, game pad.
- Be sure to note the number of directions in which the device will move - 2 or 4.
- Next, indicate the number of buttons on the body of the gaming equipment.
- You can also configure switching views: rear, cockpit, front. To do this, put a tick on the item "There is a POV switch".
- The last is to enter the name of the device in the "Controller" field.
- Then click on OK - you will return to the start window "Game devices".
We connect the steering wheel and pedals: instruction number 3
We continue to analyze the ways how to connect the game wheel. We present the following instruction to the reader:
- Note that the most advanced models, as well as the latest versions of games, allow the virtual driver to notify the wheel in mud, tire wear (of course, in the game). The device "communicates" this with a characteristic vibration in the speakers. But such a useful option must be enabled independently in the game settings.
- Can the steering wheel be installed on a laptop? Yes, if both devices can be connected via USB. If your laptop supports the version of the universal bus 3.0, then this will significantly increase the speed of access to the connected device, rather than using the standard 2.0.
- If the steering wheel is equipped with a different connector, you need to purchase a special adapter to connect it to a computer or laptop.
- Laptops have a limited number of USB ports. Therefore, before connecting gaming equipment, you should think about purchasing a special splitter - a USB hub.
- How to set up a steering wheel with pedals in computer games? In order for the gaming devices to be detected by the PC and to function correctly, after connecting, install special drivers on the computer.
- Not all laptops and system units have floppy drives. And if the driver is on disk? We offer an alternative option: go to the official website of the gaming equipment manufacturer, find there drivers for your device, download and install them.
- Remember: first you need to connect the steering wheel, and only then start the game. Only in this way, and not vice versa. You can detect and configure the device in the video game control settings.
- In the settings, specify the connected gamepad as an alternative to the keyboard. Assign functions to each of its buttons. For "chaining" usually indicate any of the idle keys.
The process of connecting the steering wheel and pedals: instruction number 4
Here's another tutorial on how to connect the pedal steering wheel. Let's give this algorithm:
- We recommend purchasing gaming equipment with a USB port. In this case, you will not need to purchase a separate adapter to connect to the device.
- Next, pay attention to the instructions: somewhere the pedals are connected to the steering wheel, and then the steering wheel to the computer. Somewhere else. The steering wheel is connected to the computer, and then the pedals are connected to it (the steering wheel).
- The simplest connection and configuration option sometimes ends at this step. In 20-30 seconds after connection, a window appears on the PC screen: "The device is installed, ready to work". You can play.
- But most often the inscription "The device is not recognized", "The device is not ready" appears. How do I connect the steering wheel and pedals in this case? The driver needs to be installed.
- The driver is installed either from the disk included in the kit, or from the official website of the equipment manufacturer (you need to download the installation file for your steering wheel, pedals model).
- After the driver has been installed, restart your computer or laptop.
- You can try the performance of the gaming system in a racing game. Be sure to go to the control settings to set the functions of the buttons for yourself.
- We have covered how to install the steering wheel on a computer. Now we will tell you how to check its performance if there are no racing games on your PC yet.
- Go to "Control Panel", move to "Sound and Hardware".
- Next select "View connected devices and printers". Among other things, you will see the steering wheel in the list.
- If you haven't found it, then click on the "Add" button.
- The system will automatically search for new connected devices. Your steering wheel will appear in the search results list. Click Next.
- If you installed the driver on your PC, the system will automatically find and install it for this device. Connection passed.
Connecting a gamepad
We've figured out how to connect the steering wheel and pedals to your computer. But what if you decide to play on the popular XBox game console? It comes with a wireless game controller (gamepad, in other words). How do I connect it to a game console?
We advise you to follow these instructions:
- Press the Guide button on the controller itself. You need to hold down the key until both the controller and the game console are activated.
- Now press the power button on the console itself once. But now, in 20 seconds, you need to have time to press and release the power key already on the gamepad.
- Now you need to wait until the indicator lights near the power button on the console stop flashing. This will indicate that the controller has successfully connected to the device.
- If not, check the batteries in the controller. If AA elements are unusable, replace them with new identical ones.
- Please note that special devices are also supplied to power the controller: Xbox 360 Play & Charge Kit or Xbox 360 Quick Charge Kit.
- The game console is designed not only for solo, but also for team play. Therefore, up to four gamepads can be connected to the device at the same time. Each of the controllers is connected according to the diagram shown above. Connect the devices one at a time.
- Be careful: each of the gamepads on the console panel will be assigned a specific quadrant near the power button. How to define it? The indicator will light up when the controller is connected to the console.
We know how to connect a Logitech wheel and pedals to a computer, a gamepad to a gaming console. And now one more important instruction - how to disable the controller:
- Hold the Guide button on your controller for about three seconds.
- Then turn off the controller itself. The last one to shut down is the console.
- This deactivation is convenient because the next time the controller is turned on, it will automatically connect to the game console.
One gamepad can only be connected to one console! To use it for another, you need to interrupt the connection with the first.
There are often cases when the gamer cannot connect the controller to the console. Experts advise to fix the problem as follows: replace the batteries in the gamepad, as well as remove all foreign objects between the controller and the console, which may interfere with the establishment of the connection. Pay particular attention to the following:
- smartphones and cordless home phones;
- chrome and metal racks, chairs, tables, stands, etc.
Connecting pedals separately from the steering wheel
Many users are wondering how to connect pedals to a computer without a steering wheel. Let's disappoint our readers: this is impossible. Someone is engaged in amateur performances, by soldering, connecting the pedals to an independent controller. But this is a waste of work: the pedals will not be connected to each other.
There is only one way out (as users suggest in their reviews): you can purchase "aviation" pedals (especially for flight simulators) that are capable of functioning independently.
Steering wheel calibration: option # 1
Connecting and installing a steering wheel with pedals on your computer is only half the battle. It is important to configure it for the game. More precisely, calibrate. This opportunity is provided by the developers of many races in the menu of their game. As a rule, you should look for calibration in the settings.
If the authors of your favorite race did not take care of such an important point, then you can try to cope with the task yourself - through the "Command Line":
- Go to Start, then Accessories. Click on "Run".
- Type and run the following: joy.cpl.
- Select the required device and open the context menu.
- Go to Properties.
- At this point, you can make "fine" settings for the gaming device.
Steering wheel calibration: option # 2
Here is another version of the steering wheel calibration for the reader.
- Click on "Start".
- Go to "Control Panel".
- Then the "Hardware and Sound" section.
- Here you need an item with gaming devices.
- Select a steering wheel from the list. Call the context menu, go to "Properties".
- The Settings menu opens. Here you will need the item "Calibrate device".
- Have you adjusted the steering wheel for yourself? Now you can go to the endless sea of games!
After analyzing the reviews of the happy owners of gaming paraphernalia, we can come to an unambiguous conclusion: the installation of equipment in most cases does not cause difficulties. Not only adults, but also children cope with it. It is only important to follow the instructions given, install the correct driver. And, of course, dwell on proven models that have collected a lot of positive reviews.
So we figured out how to connect and configure the steering wheel and pedals. Now you know that this is a simple procedure: connecting devices, installing drivers, making settings in the game menu, adding an attribute to the gaming equipment, calibrating the device.
Now on the market there are many different gaming devices, sharpened for certain genres of games. For racing, a steering wheel with pedals is best suited, such a device will help to give realism to the gameplay. After purchasing the steering wheel, the user will only have to connect it to the computer, configure and launch the game. Next, we will take a closer look at the process of connecting the steering wheel with pedals to a computer.
Connecting a steering wheel with pedals to a computer
There is nothing complicated in connecting and configuring a gaming device; the user is required to perform just a few simple steps to make the device ready for use. Pay attention to the instructions included in the kit. There you will find a detailed explanation of the connection principle. Let's walk through the whole process step by step.
Step 1: Connect the wires
First of all, familiarize yourself with all the parts and wires that come in the box with the steering wheel and pedals. Usually there are two cables, one of them connects to the steering wheel and computer, and the other to the steering wheel and pedals. Connect them and plug them into any available USB port on your computer.
In some cases, when a gearbox is included, it is connected to the steering wheel via a separate cable. You can find out the correct connection in the instructions for the device. If additional power is present, do not forget to connect it before starting the setup as well.
Step 2: Installing the Drivers
Simple devices are automatically detected by the computer and are immediately ready for use, but in most cases you will need to install drivers or additional software from the developer. The set should include a DVD with all the necessary programs and files, but if it is not there or you do not have a drive, then you just need to go to the official website, select your steering wheel model and download everything you need.
In addition, there are specialized programs for finding and installing drivers. You can use such software so that it finds the necessary drivers for the steering wheel on the network and automatically installs them. Let's take a look at this process using Driver Pack Solution as an example:
- Run the program and switch to expert mode by clicking on the corresponding button.
- Go to section "Drivers" .
- Please select "Install automatically" , if you want to install everything at once, or find the game device in the list, mark it with a tick and complete the installation.
The principle of installing drivers with the help of others is approximately the same and does not cause any difficulties for users. You can familiarize yourself with other representatives of this software in the article at the link below.
Read more: Best software to install drivers
Step 3: Adding a device using standard Windows tools
Sometimes just installing the drivers is not enough for the system to be able to use the device. In addition, Windows Update also issues some errors when connecting new devices. Therefore, it is recommended to manually add the device to the computer. This is done as follows:
- Open up "Start" and go to "Devices and Printers" .
- Press "Add device" .
- An automatic search for new devices will take place, the game wheel should be displayed in this window. You must select it and click "Further" .
- Now the utility will automatically pre-configure the device, you just have to follow the instructions in the window and wait for the end of the process.
After that, you can already use the device, however, most likely, it will not be configured. Therefore, you will need to perform a manual calibration.
Step 4: Calibrate the device
Before starting games, you need to make sure that the computer recognizes pressing buttons, pedals and correctly perceives steering wheel turns. The built-in calibration function of the device will help to check and adjust these parameters. You just need to follow a few simple steps:
- Hold down the keyboard shortcut Win + R and enter the command given below there and press "OK" .
- Select your active gaming device and go to "Properties" .
- In the tab "Options" click "Calibrate" .
- The calibration wizard window will open. To start the process, click "Further" .
- The center is searched first. Follow the instructions in the window and it will automatically go to the next step.
- You can observe the calibration of the axes yourself, all your actions will be displayed in the area "X-axis / Y-axis" .
- It remains only to calibrate "Z-axis" ... Follow the instructions and wait for the automatic transition to the next step.
- This completes the calibration process, it will be saved after you press "Done" .
Step 5: Checking the functionality
Sometimes, after starting the game, users find that some buttons do not work or the steering wheel does not turn as it should. To prevent this from happening, you need to check using standard Windows tools. This is done as follows:
- Press the key combination Win + R and go to settings again via the command given in the previous step.
- In the window, specify your steering wheel and click "Properties" .
- In the tab "Check" all active steering axle buttons, pedals and view switches are displayed.
- In the event that something does not work correctly, you will need to re-calibrate.
This completes the whole process of connecting and adjusting the steering wheel with pedals. You can launch your favorite game, adjust control settings and go to the gameplay. Be sure to go to the section "Control settings" , in most cases there are many different parameters for the steering wheel.We are glad that we were able to help you solve the problem. Describe what did not work for you.
Our experts will try to answer as quickly as possible.